Math Assistance Center
Status: The MAC will be open on Tuesday, September 5, at 9am for the fall 2023 term. We offer 1-on-1 appointments and walk-in assistance.
The Math Assistance Center’s Mission
The Math Assistance Center seeks to enhance your understanding of mathematics through effective and focused tutoring. Our undergraduate tutors can provide explanations, guidance, and helpful study strategies for those students who are seeking to overcome the barriers and difficulties that so often appear in mathematics courses. Additionally, students may visit their graduate TA in the Math Assistance Center to receive more advanced assistance or advice pertinent to the course(s) they are taking. Regardless of your reasons for visiting the MAC, we hope that it is a productive and useful endeavor.
MAC Operation for Fall 2023
The Math Assistance Center will open on Tuesday, September 5th. Both 1-on-1 appointments and walk-ins will be available. The schedule for walk-in appointments will be posted below. If you have any questions or concerns, please email Dr. Hockensmith at email@example.com.
Fall Semester Walk-in Schedule(s)
***Fall Walk-in Schedule****
It is comprised of graduate students. Note that most students can help with courses up to Math 413, but the number of TA's available for walk-ins for upper level courses is more sparse. Consult the schedules for each course below to determine who is available to help with a specific subject and when they will be in the MAC.
|Algebra - Maths 10, 25, and 31||Link|
|Prep for Scientific Calc - Math 200||Link|
|Business Calculus - Math 120||Link|
|Calculus I - Math 220||Link|
|Calculus II - Math 230||Link|
|Honors Calculus - Math 235||Link|
|Calculus III -- Math 240||Link|
|Linear Algebra - Math 280 (see 1180 schedule as well)||Link|
|Differential Equations - Math 290||Link|
|Intro to Theoretical Mathematics - Math 413||Link|
|Theory of 1 Variable Calculus - Math 420||Link|
|Abstract Algebraic Systems - 430||Link|
|Number Theory - Math 1020||Link|
|Combinatorial Mathematics - Math 1050||Link|
|Linear Algebra - Math 1180||Link|
|Ordinary Differential Equations - Math 1270||Link|
Instructions for Tutoring-by-Appointment (unavailable during the summer)
Appointments are available within the Navigate Student App. To make an appointment, please follow the steps below:
- Download the Navigate Student App on your phone or use the designated browser app that is accessible in my.pitt.edu
- Log in using your Pitt ID and password. You will be asked to authenticate using 2 factor authentication.
- Click on the Appointments tab.
- Select Tutoring as the type of appointment.
- Select the Math Assistance Center as your location.
- Select the course with which you need assistance.
- You should be presented with a list of available times at which you may receive tutoring. Appointments are 30 minutes in length.
- Please email Dr. Hockensmith at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have trouble making appointments, a tutor who does not show up to an appointment, or if you have any questions about making an appointment.
- If you wish to schedule an appointment with a specific tutor and cannot do so through the app, please email Dr. Hockensmith at email@example.com.
O'Hara Student Center
2nd Floor, Room 215
Hours for the Physical Location of the MAC:
Please consult the schedule above.
Dietrich School Scientific Computing Lab
230 S Bouquet St.
No in-person consultant.
For general study tips and academic advice, as well as resources for other subjects, feel free to consult the Study Lab Web page.