Math Assistance Center
Status: The MAC will open for the fall semester on Tuesday, September 6th, for walk-in assistance and appointments. The schedule of graduate TA's and walk-in availability will be posted over the weekend of September 3rd.
The Math Assistance Center’s Mission
The Math Assistance Center seeks to enhance your understanding of mathematics through effective and focused tutoring. Our undergraduate tutors can provide explanations, guidance, and helpful study strategies for those students who are seeking to overcome the barriers and difficulties that so often appear in mathematics courses. Additionally, students may visit their graduate TA in the Math Assistance Center to receive more advanced assistance or advice pertinent to the course(s) they are taking. Regardless of your reasons for visiting the MAC, we hope that it is a productive and useful endeavor.
MAC Operation for Fall 2022
The Math Assistance Center will open on Tuesday, September 6th for walk-in assistance and tutoring-by-appointment. The schedule for walk-in appointments is below. Instructions for scheduling appointments are below the walk-in schedules. If you have any questions or concerns, please email Dr. Hockensmith at email@example.com.
Fall Semester Walk-in Schedule(s)
Here is the walk-in schedule for the fall semester of 2022. ***There are no walk-ins on Wednesdays, only tutoring via appointment***
It is comprised of graduate students and undergraduate TA's. Note that most students can help with courses up to Math 413, but the number of TA's available for walk-ins for upper level courses is more sparse. Consult the schedules for each course below to determine who is available to help with a specific subject and when they will be in the MAC. Some courses like Math 235 are currently omitted and will be added in the near future (by the third week of classes).
|Algebra - Maths 10, 25, and 31||Algebra Schedule|
|Prep for Scientific Calc - Math 200||Precalculus Schedule|
|Business Calculus - Math 120||Business Calculus Schedule|
|Calculus I - Math 220||Calculus I Schedule|
|Calculus II - Math 230||Calculus II Schedule|
|Calculus III -- Math 240||Calculus III Schedule|
|Linear Algebra - Math 280||Linear Algebra Schedule|
|Differential Equations - Math 290||Differential Equations Schedule|
|Finite Mathematics - Math 400||Finite Mathematics Schedule|
|Intro to Theoretical Mathematics - Math 413||Theoretical Math Schedule|
|Theory of 1 Variable Calculus - Math 420||Analysis Schedule|
|Actuarial Mathematics - Math 470||Actuarial Mathematics Schedule|
|Number Theory - Math 1020||Number Theory Schedule|
|Combinatorial Mathematics - Math 1050||Combinatorial Math Schedule|
|Linear Algebra - Math 1180||Linear Algebra Schedule|
|Ordinary Differential Equations - Math 1270||ODE Schedule|
|Modeling in Applied Mathematics - Math 1360||Modeling Schedule|
|Vector Analysis - Math 1550||Vector Analysis Schedule|
Instructions for Tutoring-by-Appointment
Appointments are available within the Navigate Student App. To make an appointment, please follow the steps below:
- Download the Navigate Student App on your phone or use the designated browser app that is accessible in my.pitt.edu
- Log in using your Pitt ID and password. You will be asked to authenticate using 2 factor authentication.
- Click on the Appointments tab.
- Select Tutoring as the type of appointment.
- Select the Math Assistance Center as your location.
- Select the course with which you need assistance.
- You should be presented with a list of available times at which you may receive tutoring. Appointments are 30 minutes in length.
- Please email Dr. Hockensmith at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have trouble making appointments, a tutor who does not show up to an appointment, or if you have any questions about making an appointment.
- If you wish to schedule an appointment with a specific tutor and cannot do so through the app, please email Dr. Hockensmith at email@example.com.
O'Hara Student Center
2nd Floor, Room 215
Hours for the Physical Location of the MAC:
Please consult the schedule above.
Dietrich School Scientific Computing Lab
230 S Bouquet St.
No in-person consultant.
For general study tips and academic advice, as well as resources for other subjects, feel free to consult the Study Lab Web page.