Welcome to the Department of Mathematics at the University of Pittsburgh!
Our Mission Statement
The Department of Mathematics is committed to:
- Advancing the frontiers of pure and applied mathematics.
- Providing training in critical and quantitative thinking through mathematical methods.
- Promoting and connecting mathematics to the community.
- Encouraging an inclusive climate of learning, research, and collaboration in mathematics, where all are welcome, valued, and treated with respect
We do this by:
- Providing top quality graduate and undergraduate instruction.
- Maintaining a modern curriculum that reflects advances in mathematical sciences and related areas.
- Providing opportunities for students through multidisciplinary programs.
- Advising and mentoring students on their academic and career goals.
- Fostering excellence in research and scholarship.
- Seeking out and welcoming mathematical participation by members of diverse communities.
- Developing research collaborations that build on the strengths of our university, other universities, and the local business and research communities.
- Providing instructional and recreational mathematical programs and activities to high schools to build interest and enthusiasm for the field of mathematics.
- Making faculty and their expertise available to local schools and non-profit organizations.
Our faculty is dedicated to the creation of new mathematics, the connection of mathematics to other areas, and the communication of mathematics.